Today we tried something brand new...
Putu Cake! BUT our neighbor didn't bring it; we didn't buy it at a store; I didn't make it, nor did our helper! Instead, we bought it from a man who was walking along our street. This is a VERY common occurrence here in Indonesia.
Actually, the little neighbor boy DID bring it first and let us taste a little... then we went and bought our own! For only Rp 1000 (about 12 cents), you get 3 pieces of Putu cake! We splurged and bought Rp 5000 worth!
The man doesn't just sell them... he MAKES them while sitting on the side of the street. He is sitting in our neighbor's driveway right on the edge of the street! When he is finished, he'll stand up and that bamboo connecting the two sides will rest on his shoulder as he walks along.
 |
The cakes are the green cylinders on the brown paper. He
scoops some of that green powder (cake mix, I guess) into a
bamboo cylinder then he puts a little palm sugar (which is the
brown stuff in the orange bowl) on top then more green cake mix. |
 |
Next he sits the bamboo cylinder on top of this can that is
filled with boiling water (it has a fire underneath that
we couldn't see... it is inside the green box). The cylinder is
on the left on top of a little hole that steam comes out of if
the cake isn't there. On the right side is a pipe that makes
a loud whistling sound! So from now on, we'll know he is coming
when we hear this sound! I bet he can tell the cake is done
by the sound it makes, too, but I'm not sure! BTW, that silver car
in the picture is not parked... it is driving by on our street! He is
that close to the road! |
 |
| A picture of him putting cake mix in the bamboo. |
 |
All wrapped up when he is finished! He covers them in
freshly grated coconut! I forgot to take a picture of ours
before we ate them! =0( BUT the link above that says
"Putu Cakes" shows them close up! |
They were enak ("short e" then "knock") which means delicious!! I have a couple of videos that I might try to post sometime. I narrated what he was doing in the video, but you can't really hear that because of his box whistling! ha!
Maybe when you come visit, you can have some Putu Cake!
Yea!!Sounds good to me..mom
ReplyDeleteThat is so interesting! I looked at the Putu Cake link & the cake looks yummy! Looks like it's really moist. (Was that Katie's bday cake?) :-) I bet the kids loved watching; especially knowing cake was coming soon. Haha. I love the picture of W4 that looks like he is looking up grinning at someone from Indonesia.
ReplyDeleteMy post I just did says 4:39 am but it was really 6:39 am. Don't know how time is wrong.
ReplyDeleteIt is REALLY moist! It is cooked from the steam... no other moisture is added! It even melts the sugar he puts in there.
ReplyDeleteEverything I've read says these types of cake are "only sold at night," but as you can see from the pictures, it was daytime!
As much as I like to restrict sugar and artificial colors, I wouldn't mind seeing him once in a while on our street!
oh... and oddly enough, the time is messed up. I thought I had that fixed a while back! It is 8:20 p.m. when I posted that last comment, and it says 6:20 a.m. I guess it is a setting I need to fix!
ReplyDeleteOkay... let's see if this is right! =0) BTW, I told Katie this was her birthday cake! =0)
ReplyDeleteYea! It is right! =0)
ReplyDeleteHey... I learned that the green is from a leaf... not artificial... I hope that is right. Makes me feel a little better about eating the cake! ha! I haven't seen him since. =0( I keep an ear out for his whistling pipe! ;0)
ReplyDelete