Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Vegetable Handyman!

Tukang sayer kami!
(Our vegetable handyman!)

The load!  There I am barely on the right holding some
chicken breasts in my hand.  They are in clear plastic
bags, but it pretty much feels like they aren't!
This was the stuff in his lap he sets down on the porch
when he gets off his motorcycle.  It is kangung, I believe.
It is good whenever our pembantu has cooked it for us!

I love how everyone is okay with you taking their picture here!  =0)  Miss O9 took these shots Friday morning!

Every morning I have the opportunity to purchase items from this man, the tukang sayur
(which according to google translate is the "vegetable handyman."  And when I say every morning, I mean EVERY morning, 7 days a week.  The only "stickler" is that he comes around 6:15 to 6:45!  So... I prefer to be up and showered before I start my shopping... but if I wanted to, I could shop in my jammies... the other women do!  He pulls right into the "driveway" we share with a couple of neighbors. If I miss him in my drive... I just go to the next neighbor's driveway... he goes there next.  I assume he just continues this down the road until his motorcycle is empty.  He lets everyone know he has arrived by hooting and hollering.  Thankfully, the kids seem to sleep right through it... most the time!

I know a few words that help me get by in my shopping.  My neighbors (in my driveway), help me with shopping to let me know if something is bagus (bah-goose) or tidak (tee-dak) bagus!  (good or not good)  Then when I finish, the man starts adding everything up.  I still don't know all my numbers and especially when he starts talking hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands... I get lost.  I could SO be taken by this man... but I don't think I am.  My neighbors also help me here to let me know if a price is bagus.  My total this morning was Rp72.000 (I think)... yes seventy-two thousand Rupiah!  That is roughly $8.  For that I got 4 boneless chicken breasts, a bag of chicken legs, some white potatoes, and some garlic.  I think that is all I got.  So... I don't think that was a bad price... but then again... maybe my neighbor could have gotten all the same stuff for less!  Maybe I'm supposed to haggle with the guy... I'm not sure.  I don't see my neighbors doing that.  (But maybe they are.  I'm still so clueless in soooooooooooo many ways!)

As I said, the kids normally sleep right through his hooting and hollering, but on this particular morning... the 4 oldest were awake and came out after me... complete with Wesley only wearing his undies!  Anyway, the vegetable guy just loved seeing the kids!  Everyone does... and when I told him I had 5 kids (lima anak-anak), he gave me a surprised look and a big thumbs up!  That is the normal response here!  Joy & approval of a large family even though most families are only 2 or 3 kids now a days even here.

So... next time you wish someone came to your door selling groceries, you can remember us and our "Vegetable Handyman."  =0)

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe how much he has hanging on his bike!! I love how happy he is, great smile. Love the thumbs up that you mentioned for the number of kids you have. :-) What a great bargain, 8 bucks for all of that! Thanks for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures love it..What a selection he has..very much hanging on his bike, almost hides the bike..Door to door service and everyday, how great is that?
    love to all Mom thanks for pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Looks like the same tukang I remember...and I'm surprised he let you take his picture, he wasn't always a polite fellow to me and the neighborhood. :) But the first time he saw my newborn infant, it was the first time I saw his scowl leave his face and he lit up over the baby. They really are kind to children. And no need to haggle with his prices. Good of you to take notice of how your neighbors shop. You're likely getting the same price the neighbors are, and the groceries come to you. How convenient! Selamat belanja!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, he probably smiled so great for the pix because it was Olivia taking it. =0) Maybe he is nicer these days... but he does seem all business. I am so thankful for him. I wish he had a partner who brought fruit! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! How great that you have someone come to your door. Have you had this much hanging from your bike yet? Now that would be a great picture.
    He is so colorful too, maybe he thinks that will make you all want to buy more, he must have taken a good merchandising class! Hugs to all! Love ya! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is cool, but not that unusual. i have a guy in my neighborhood all the time, trying to sell me meat out of a freezer bungeed down in his pickup truck:D you guys are totally great! tell dano hey, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want one!!! He's amazing!...the chicken part is creepy, though. haha.
    - Alicia Mcd

    ReplyDelete