A still picture of the bebek-bebek. Here, they are in
the sawah down the road, not across the street. They
are camouflaged... so hard to see them!
The sawah (rice field) is all around us. I've shared that with you before. I have seen three types of animals used in farming the rice. Some sort of cow... maybe a water buffalo? You've seen the pictures of the sheep when they walked with us along the road. Now the third are bebek-bebek (ducks). In the language here, you do not add "s" to the end of a word to make it plural. Instead, you double the word. So to say duck (singular), you say bebek. To say ducks (plural), you say bebek-bebek! Unless of course you are using a number with the word. So, to say 5 ducks... you say 5 (lima) bebek. The number makes it plural! Okay... that was just a side note! Back to the ducks...
I love the ducks! I don't know why... must run in the family. My 19 year old niece currently has 2 pet ducks! But I love the ducks here because they make that great quacking sound ducks make, and I love the sound of them in the sawah. It is very wet & muddy in the sawah... and their feet just sound great in there. I don't know what it is, but it just seems like a happy sound! That may seem strange, but it is true.
Well, the other morning as we were about to start school, we suddenly heard a lot of quacking and the "duck shepherd" (as we call him) in our yard! For some reason, the ducks took a wrong turn into our yard instead of into the sawah across the road! I grabbed my camera & headed to the front teras (porch) as fast as I could to get them on video before they were completely gone! You can see what I captured in the videos below! As you can tell, the kids & Dano came out with me!
What color are the ducks? I'm not sure. They always look brown... like the dirt or mud. I'm not sure if this is their natural color or if they are just dirty all the time. There does seem to be some variation in their feathers, so maybe they aren't solid white. It seems like there is one black duck among the group. So, if you know the answer to this question, feel free to let us all know!
I hope you enjoyed this little video of the bebek-bebek as much as I did! Leave a comment here at the blog & let me know!

That was a fun event to start school out with! :-) I loved hearing the kids enjoying them too! You definitely gave this new blog a good name. What an adventure. So awesome to show your kids something new every day that God made and/or what God is doing in y'all's lives. The little things , like a duck, are just as great. The other night Samuel turned and said "Momma, God made us. God made you. God made Samuel." It was precious.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this fun post.
I love this! You are right, ducks are great! I love walking out seeing and hearing Katie's ducks.
ReplyDeleteThey are beautiful to watch when they go to the creek. I wonder what the "Duck Shepherd" would think if you went over with a loaf of bread and started feeding his ducks like we do here when we go to the park. What a great morning wake up call!! Much better than the normal one you get.
Thanks for sharing, Love ya, Michelle (mom of niece duck owner)
This is great! So fun to watch and hear. also to
ReplyDeletelisten to the kids in background. i saw the black
duck and wondered if was one. Loved it. Thanks,Mom:)
don't comment as much as i should, but always stalking......and praying! todd
ReplyDeleteAw, you included me in your blog!! I feel so honored! Loved the ducks! And mine quack too now! One is louder and deeper then the other though. Steering two ducks in the right direction is hard enough, I give this guy A LOT of credit for steering all of these!
ReplyDeleteLove and Miss Ya'll!
Katie & Frick & Frack (The niece with the ducks)
THAT IS INCREDIBLE TO ME...so reminds me of some Seuss character. Oh my goodness, that was funny. I can't imagine trying to get a entire flock to go somewhere specific! Quackin me up. (hahahha, i'm so funny).
ReplyDeleteI LOVE YOU ALL,
you baby sister sister. ;)