| The day we arrived in country. It is a little after 4 pm in Indonesia... but that means a little after 4 am at "home." This was after 30+ hours of travel. We could NOT wake them up! |
| About 30 minutes later & Mr. W4 joined them. Miss E6 was wide awake. She had slept well on the plane! |
| An hour later... still snoozing... couldn't wake them to feed them! Unfortunately, they woke up around midnight, I think, starving. =0( |
| This time even Miss E6 had passed out! |
| THIS is tired! |
I've always heard in order to overcome jetlag, you need to start functioning in your new time zone ASAP. If it is daylight, when you arrive... stay awake. If it nighttime, go to bed. I've also been told that if you have kids, it usually takes 1 day per hour of time change before they will be adjusted! Well, we had traveled 12 time zones EAST... so we were looking at a 12 day adjustment period???!!!!
After being picked up at the airport, we were driven about 3 hours to our temporary house (with a stop at KFC). After the lunch stop, one by one the kids passed out and eventually, I did, too. Dano can't remember if he did or not! After arriving at the house, the kids just moved locations and stayed passed out! Dano & I were awake, but decided to take a nap despite "advice" to stay awake til bedtime, but the two guys here to help us did suggest we nap! I'm so glad we did since the kids eventually woke up & were ready & "to go."
I don't remember much about the day by day play of what was going on, but I do remember being BUSY making the most of our time with the 2 guys who had come to help us get settled. We did start functioning in the new time zone, but the kids kept passing out before eating supper... so we just started eating supper earlier! Unfortunately the middle of the night wakings continued for several more days... but overall, I think the adjustment came quickly! I'd say in 4 days, Dano & I were adjusted. It may have taken about a week for the kids. I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO thankful it did NOT take the 12 days we were expecting! Some people say that flying EAST to WEST (instead of WEST to EAST) helps you get over jetlag faster. This is what we did... I'm not sure if that had anything to do with our fast adjustment or not. Some people say when you fly 12 time zones... it doesn't really matter which direction you fly! =0) Whatever it was, I am THANKFUL!
Stay tuned for "Our Home - part 2" coming soon!
Makes me want to come hug them (and you). Mel, you are a most excellent communicator! Makes us feel like we are there with you physically. I started yawning and feeling the need for a nap.
ReplyDeleteLove you all!
Kathy and Dick
I'm not sure if that means I'm a good communicator or a boring one! ha ha! You are more than welcome to come any time! We welcome visitors and hugs! =0) Soon I'm going to post pictures of the beautiful hotel that is less than 5 minutes away from our home. The two of you could walk to our home in a snap! =0) Love you! Melinda =0)
ReplyDelete