Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Crossing the Street


The above video is a typical street in Bandung (the city about 30 minutes away).  Actually, this is kind of a "light traffic" road.  I took this video just after I crossed this street.  The traffic NEVER stops.  It is a continual flow.  There is no crosswalk.  There are no lights at this intersection.  If you want to cross the road, you just step out in traffic and hold your hand out similar to what a traffic cop might do if he wants you to stop.  THEN you just keep walking with authority!  Don't stop... don't question your right to be there... just keep walking!  

Yeah, sounds pretty scary and ridiculous to me, too!  Actually, on this day back in May, I still wasn't brave enough to do it on my own!  Thankfully, another brave individual came along and I "tag-alonged" beside her!  =0)  Amazingly, this is just the way it is done here... and cars and motorcycles tend to slow down!  Shew!  =0)  

4 comments:

  1. WOW!! Kind of wild!! To think you just step out in the traffic like that and expect them to stop by
    putting your hand up.. you may need some "bright yellow gloves"!! Or make you a stop sign of yellow and black letters with however you say "STOP" there :) Be safe, Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday when i watched I heard some whistles & woo-woo's, just wondered it they were for you?:):)
    love ya, Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were just hooting & hollering because they saw me video taping & that I was white. The LOVE to be noticed by white people. They were young guys on a motorcycle. ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooooo, YOU PLAY FROGGER EVERYDAY! Don't get smashed...what a way to go! hehe. I'd be nervous, too. Cabs here don't typically take to the 'hand raised' concept, so, I can't imagine having to ward off ALL sorts of vehicles! :)
    Leehser

    ReplyDelete